Free for educational use
Year of production - 1978
Duration - 2min 13sec
Tags - Australian History, civics and citizenship, culture, diversity, feminism, identity, immigration, workforce, see all tags
How to Download the Video Clip
To download a free copy of this Video Clip choose from the options below. These require the free Quicktime Player.
Premium MP4 georgetoula_pr.mp4 (16.4MB).
Broadband MP4 georgetoula_bb.mp4 (7.7MB), suitable for iPods and computer downloads.
You can buy this clip on a compilation DVD.
You can buy the program this clip comes from.
About the Video Cliptop
An Australian Greek Wife is an excerpt from the film George and Toula (10 mins), an episode of Our Multicultural Society Series 1 (11 × 10 mins), produced in 1978.
Our Multicultural Society Series 1 explores Australia’s cultural diversity. The 11 documentaries in this first series explore issues around identity, community, communication, and lifestyle. They consider specific problems or challenges faced by particular individuals or groups, and look at our similarities and differences. The people featured in the progams range from new arrivals and second generation Australians to Indigenous Australians.
Our Multicultural Society Series 1 was produced by Film Australia.
- The video clip:
- What is this video clip about?
- What is your impression of Toula?
- How is Toula trapped between two cultures?
- What are the costs and what are the benefits to Toula for what she is doing?
- What does this clip reveal about Australia’s immigration policy at the time?
- Should migrants adapt and be forced to accept certain core standards and values?
- Research the statistics on the main countries of origin of immigrants to Australia at each census since 1954. Describe the changes and continuities in the top 10 source countries for each census. Suggest reasons to explain that pattern.
- What has been the impact of post-World War 2 migration on Australian society and identity?
Go to The National Centre for History Education, choose Units of Work: Making History, select Making History: Middle Secondary Units – Investigating People and Issues in Australia after World War II, and go to Sunny Australia?